Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Duke

Duke arrived 2.13.14 at 7:50 am. he weighed 7 lbs 12 oz and was 19 3/4 inches. perfection.

so far we have been adjusting well! especially Mila. she is doing so great in her new role as Big Sister. we've of course had our moments of frustration and some tears but things are getting better day by day. in fact, today is our first day without daddy! he went hunting…to save his sanity i'm sure…which leaves me wondering what i get to do to save my sanity….probably an hour long mani/pedi but hey, i'll take it. i've managed to get a few loads of laundry in, lunch made, her lady bug tent assembled (thanks to some help from shay) and both babies are sleeping. ahhhh. i should be sleeping but i have to play catch up on a few things around the house. 

duke has been a fantastic sleeper and is staying awake for longer stretches everyday. he is completely different than m was as a baby and i am loving every second. he definitely loves his mommy. m was so early to crawl, walk and become a toddler so i am hoping this boy stays baby a little longer. looking back, i think i was 'so excited' for all of her firsts that i didn't soak up the baby phase as much as i should have. so this time i am. a lot. 

 daddy passed out during the delivery. mommy threw up after my spinal. quite the experience if you as me. i never want to do it again. 
 m was so so excited to meet her baby brother. she loved his toes. his tiny hands. his ears. his belly button was quite interesting and so was his penis. lol. every time she touched his hands or toes she would say "tiny toes!" in the highest pitch voice. it was seriously to die for. i wish i could've bottled it up so i could keep it forever. 

baby boy had a very high bilirubin level and tested positive for Coombs. we have different blood and i'm pretty sure that had to do with the positive test result. with so many nurses in and out of our room, checking me, checking duke, taking blood and blah blah blah, i really have no idea what coombs is. other than it can be dangerous for the boy. so on our third day, he ended up under the phototherapy lights for almost 24 hours. it was so sad. i knew it would make him better and allow us to go home but try telling a hormonal, beyond tired and sore mama that she can't hold her 3 day old baby all day and all night long…. not a happy camper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment